*Note* This isn’t a list of characters that I think are the “cutest” or “best” in terms of writing or character development. These are characters that I like based on how I connect to them on an emotional level.
40. Suruga Kanbaru (神原 駿河) – Bakemonogatari
The only Monogatari character even worth caring for. That’s at least something.
39. Mahoro Ando (安藤 まほろ) – Mahoromatic
Love how proper and elegant she is in trying to keep the protagonist from being lewd. So charming and cute!
38. Rena Ryuuguu (竜宮 レナ) – Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Yandere-bait maybe, but I can’t help but find her alluring to see in the show.
37. Ichiko Sakura (桜 市子) – Binbougami ga!
She is brash, mean, and arrogant, but I find those to be a charm factor to her character.
36. Sakura Kinomoto (木之本 さくら) – Cardcaptor Sakura
Way better than Sailor Moon, there shall never be a debate about it.
35. Kraft Lawrence (クラフト・ロレンス) – Spice and Wolf
His wit and humanist nature are what make him and Holo a great duo to follow.
34. Dandy (ダンディ) – Space Dandy
I’m sure with many of the lewd protags in this list, Dandy embodies my lewd personality quite accurately; albeit a bit exaggerated.
33. Lafiel Abriel (アブリアル・ネイ) – Seikai no Monshou
Her strong charismatic leadership and beauty made me watch the show from beginning to end quite easily.
32. Kino (キノ) – Kino’s Journey
You could say she’s the only great thing about the show. Then again it is called Kino’s Journey so maybe that’s all it has be about.
31. Kodaka Hasegawa (羽瀬川 小鷹) – Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
I love my harem protagonists to be calm and down to earth, Kodaka is how I envision myself to be if I were in his situation.
30. Umaru Doma (土間 うまる) – Himouto! Umaru-chan
An absolute hysterical character that I could watch for hours and hours and never get tired of.
29. Makoto Niwa (丹羽真) – Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Quite possibly the most bland choice by many people, but I’ve had this strong connection to him as he sort of acts like me in real life if I were in his shoes.
28. Mikoto Urabe (卜部美琴) – Nazo no Kanojo X
A unique romantic interest character that was a breath of fresh air in 2012.
27. Tsukiko Tsutsukakushi (筒隠 月子) – Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
Any character that Yui Ogura plays is an absolute glorious amount of cuteness but Tsukiko-chan is by far her magnum opus.
26. Ahiru Arima (有馬 あひる) – Princess Tutu
She is a brave girl that tries her hardest to overcome any odds and follows that up by being the cutest duck ever.
25. Azusa Azuki (小豆 梓) – Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
She’s an annoying tsundere sure, but she’s voiced by Kaori Ishihara so I have no complaints.
24. Sena Kashiwazaki (柏崎 星奈) – Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
I know many will call this me listing off girls that give me a boner, but I can’t help but love Sena-chan and all the wacky antics that she does or spews out of her mouth.
23. Siegfried Kircheis (ジークフリード・キルヒアイス) – Legend of the Galactic Heroes
It’s not just his noticeably bright red hair, his calm demeanor and tactical thinking makes him the most down to earth character of the series and that’s what makes him pretty special.
22. Ayumu Aikawa (相川 歩) – Kore wa Zombie desu ka?
The anti-typical harem protagonist. Has a chip on his shoulder that isn’t afraid to face the shit he has to deal with.
21. Youto Yokodera (横寺 陽人) – Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
Yuki Kaji is an absolute genius as this character. Youto is the pure definition of a fun protagonist in a harem series.
20. Rias Gremory (リアス・グレモリー) – Highschool DxD
I love how Rias-senpai isn’t afraid to get naked and show off her good stuff. Strong and capable woman that no man would ever pass off on.
19. Faye Valentine (フェイ・バレンタイン) – Cowboy Bebop
Favorite character in Cowboy Bebop. Everybody has one and Valentine pushes all the right buttons for me, literally.
18. Issei Hyoudou (兵藤一誠) – Highschool DxD
Issei is absolutely lovable in his perverted schemes and his larger than life persona that only someone like Yuki Kaji could pull off perfectly.
17. Chihiro Ogino (荻野 千尋)ん) – Spirited Away
Her bravery inspired me when I saw this as a kid. The most accurate portrayal of a kid I’ve ever seen and I love her because of it.
16. Nadia la Arwall (ナディア・ラ・アルウォール) – Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
I love her spunky attitude and how free spirited she is with the people around her.
15. Stocking Anarchy (ストッキング・アナーキー) + Panty Anarchy (アナーキー・パンティ) – Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
I don’t think it’s possible to like one over the other since they’re both fantastic as a duo.
14. Rin Kaga (鹿賀 り) – Usagi Drop
My “girl that I would love to have as a daughter” character. Seriously, she is about as lovable and gullible as any great kid is.
13. Tomoki Sakurai (桜井智樹) – Sora no Otoshimono
A pervert we all should aspire to be. Maybe not so much how he acts since that would lead us to jail, but his ideals on lewdism should be on a lewd bible.
12. Yato (夜ト) – Noragami
One of the few male characters I would actually go gay for. Don’t judge, y’all fellas have at least one you’ll admit to.
11. Nozomu Itoshiki (糸色 望) – Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The despair is real, but the laughs keep on rolling.
10. Reinhard von Lohengramm (ラインハルト・フォン・ローエングラム) – Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Oh how I feel for the Yang fans who think he’s the best character in the show in how wrong they really are.
9. Mako Mankanshoku (満艦飾 マコ) – Kill La Kill
A great best friend any gal would love to have.
8. Motoko Kusanagi (草薙 素子) – Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
The 2nd sexy and badass female character in anime, in mechanical form!
7. Keima Katsuragi (桂木 桂馬) – The World God Only Knows
Favorite male character. Cynical to boot, but hilarious in all of his egotistical ramblings on 2D women.
6. Ikaros (イカロス) – Sora no Otoshimono
A lot of people don’t really get how Ikaros-chan isn’t just big boobs and ass. Maybe I’m the only who sees it but I don’t care.
5. Ryuuko Matoi (纏 流子) – Kill La Kill
I don’t care whether she is this feminist power fantasy that pseudo-intellectuals in forums love to praise, I view her solely as an individual who wants to rise above authority and a great call back to old-school anime action protagonists.
4. Revy (レヴィ) – Black Lagoon
The absolute best sexy and badass female character you could ever imagine. Nihilistic and unpredictable, I wouldn’t mind having her in my mercenary team.
3. Holo (ホロ) – Spice and Wolf
What is there simply to say about Holo-chan that hasn’t been said already? Her sarcasm and wit in her remarks to Kraft and everyone else makes her an absolute treat to watch and hopefully to see more in the future.
2. Momo Belia Deviluke (モモ・ベリア・デビルーク) – To Love Ru Darkness
I don’t care if an ecchi character is at number two. Momo-chan is smart, devious, and sexy all in one package. One that I would definitely love to have in my package~
Anime Character of All Time: Lain Iwakura (岩倉 玲音) – Serial Experiments Lain
Lain is a caricature of me when I was very young, hence why I grew a close attachment to her in the show. Sitting in my computer in the dark looking through the world through a digital lens. I was warped back then.